How much is enough?
Everyone talks about having a database and collecting as much customer information as possible, but how much does it really matter? Are you ever really going to access that information? Every dealer and sales professional goes through the same thought process at one point or another. However, there’s a lot more value to having a solid database that is ripe with customer information than you might think. Here are just a few of the biggest perks:
- Your database can improve productivity by reducing wasted steps and duplication of work. One centralized location will store everything and provide access to the entire dealership, keeping everyone on the same page.
- Having a well-organized database gives you instant access to hundreds of already-qualified leads in the existing customers that you have. There is always an opportunity for database marketing if you look hard enough, and when your database is organized and optimized, you won’t have to look far at all.
- When things are slow, your database is where you can find opportunities to scale or even generate new business by targeting a different segment or audience. It's a great tool to research for creative new ways to reach people and to find opportunities for future sales and more. This is important to Database Cultivation!
- Databases can provide automated contact solutions when you do want to take a crack at customer retention with some remarketing efforts. From targeted email campaigns to special offers based on certain actions or events, you can set things up to send automatically and remind people that you’re here for them, no matter what they need.
- Having a well-crafted and dynamic database is going to set your dealership up for a better chance of taking on the competition. You’ll be ahead of the game because you’ll know what people want and how to give it to them, and when others are struggling to put databases to work, yours will be a well-oiled machine. This is why it is important to continue Database Cultivation.
The Powersports industry is unique in that it’s not a necessary investment. Therefore, you’ve got to get creative when it comes to customer retention and getting through the slow periods. With a strong database that has accurate and well-organized data, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to continue to do business no matter what the market is like. For some dealerships, that might be what makes or breaks their success during those slow times.